Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Final Countdown

I feel like the last couple of weeks have been painful as we know our time in Texas is winding down.  I can't believe that the packers come on Tuesday to start boxing up everything.  It seems like we have had a lot of "lasts" and it is starting to make us all very sad.  We have had an amazing 3 years in San Antonio.  We have had great visits with family, amazing friends, great classmates, wonderful opportunities to serve, and so much fun.  We were so excited when we found out we were moving to San Antonio and we have not been disappointed. It has been everything we had hoped for and more.  I have a feeling that we will be through here again during our time in the military so I won't feel bad about the places we didn't get a chance to see and things that we didn't get to do.

In an attempt to take full advantage of free time left in San Antonio and time with Abe, since he won't be joining us in Yuma permanently until September, we went to visit the Quadrangle at Ft. Sam.  I had only heard of this place through playgroup rumors but it looked fun from some of the pictures I had seen.  So we grabbed some of our aging veggies and went to feed some animals at a little grassy area surrounded by stone walls on base.  We had a great time enjoying the lovely weather, feeding cute animals and taking in all the green.  I'm trying to soak in all the green I can before we moved to the desert.  I have a feeling it will be what I miss the most in AZ.  I remember thinking how brown San Antonio seemed when we moved from the beautiful green mountains of western Virginia and now I keep thinking how green San Antonio is.  I guess its all relative.  The other day Taylor was looking at Yuma on Google Earth and she called to me with a lot of excitement in her voice.  She said "Look mom.  I found some green grass in Yuma.  Isn't it beautiful?"  I guess she will be missing the green with me. But I guess the astroturf in our yard in Yuma will count as green, right?

 The peacocks were very fond of being fed but several of them weren't very fond of sharing so there were a lot of ruffled feathers.  They also loved to sneak up behind us and let out a loud squawk.  I hate being startled so they were not my favorite.
 Brooklyn had mixed feelings about the animals to begin with and made sure to keep an eye on them at all times.
 The deer were so sweet and tame.  I loved to hear Ethan talk to them as he divided out the food they would all get.

 Brooklyn wouldn't take her eyes off the peacock long enough to smile for a picture.

 Ethan was less enthusiastic than Taylor about a group picture but he was a good sport.


 This is what an oak tree should look like.  I have never gotten used to the tiny sad little oak trees they have in San Antonio but this one reminds me of the trees in South Carolina.
 Brooklyn had a love/hate relationship with this little duck.  She was afraid of him at first but then she decided she really wanted to pet it.  I tried keeping her hand away but she kept putting it back out there.  And of course those chubby little fingers look very much like the baby carrots we were feeding the ducks so eventually the duck tried to eat one.  Luckily it was just a little nibble and I think she was more startled than anything.
Such a great day together!

No comments: