Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

I can't say I have been that excited about Valentine's Day for the last several years. But the kids are at such a fun age with holidays that I'm enjoying today so much.

This morning I made the kids some pink, heart shapped pancakes with a little note. The kids were so fun. Ethan says "Mom, that is so sweet" just like I would say to him. All the effort to make them seems worthwhile when they are appreciative.


The other day I told Ethan that I loved him and, as usual, he didn't say anything. I asked him why he never told me that he loved me and he says "It's just not my personality." He is so matter of fact. But I do know that he loves me :)


When I picked Ethan up from school yesterday his teacher says to me "Ethan is so kind. Tell your mom what you did today?" So Ethan says "oh I was supposed to be doing something about things I love but instead I wrote a note to Kyleen (see early posts about the girl Ethan is crazy about) that says I Like You with some hearts on it." The teacher found it very amusing. At dinner last night I mentioned it and Ethan said "Yeah I was going to put I Love You but I know Miss Stephani doesn't like it when I say that so I just wrote I Like You." He has really put some thought into this. I asked him today what Kyleen had said about the note (since he had put it in her box and she hadn't seen it yet). He was quite happy to report that she said she loved it. Ethan tried to convince me to buy her a large teddy bear in the Valentine's day section of the store to give to her. I really didn't think we would start these conversations so young.

Ethan brought home a little poem from school talking about little fingerprints and how quickly he was going to grow up and it did make me a little emotional to think about. When I got done reading it to him he sort of wiped his eyes and said "that's gonna make me cry". I can't decide if he was mocking me or trying to be sympathetic.


The kids came home with an amazing amount of stuff/junk from school today and they enjoyed going through their loot. At the end Ethan got his fake sad face on and said "But I didn't get a valentine's from Taylor." (which I interpret as I want more candy). Taylor walked over to him and put her arm around him and said "But Ethan I still love you". Ethan actually willingly hugged her back. It seems that the Valentine's day spirit is doing wonders at our home today.


So I have to tell you about Abe's other love. He has worked very hard for the last month in an effort to grow grass in our yard. He started by tilling the whole yard and planting seeds. We have been very lucky to have lots of light rain and the grass is now growing beautifully. For a long time we were avoiding walking on it while the grass was still small. Abe and the kids have been known to sit outside and watch the grass grow. I'm hoping it survives the summer heat.


I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's Day with the people they love.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love that boy. Such a cute little guy. I must say that the lawn makes a lot of difference. Such an improvement over the sand :)!

Toni said...

Love Ethan as usual. Good luck with the lawn