Friday, September 30, 2011

Crushes

Ethan is really into girls lately. I'm hoping that he moves through this stage before he becomes that creepy kid on the playground that is always trying to kiss the girls. Recently I was getting ready for Young Women's and I was explaining to the kids a game we were going to play and I mentioned that I was going to put Ethan and Taylor on a team with the girls (mainly so I didn't have to entertain them for the whole time). Ethan gets a look in his eye and says "Can I be on the team with that girl that babysat me?" I reminded him of her name and asked him why he wanted to be on her team. There was a long pause and a little grin. I gave him an out and said "oh because you know her and you aren't shy when you know someone?" He agreed and then added "and because I think she is cute." He does have good taste because she is a very sweet girl.


So the day after that he was pretty chipper when I picked him up from preschool. He was telling me about his day, which usually involves what game they played at recess. He told me how he had played with the girls again and talking about playing super heroes with one girl in particular. He smiled and said "I told her that I was going to date her when I get older." And what was her response, I asked. "She just laughed." I questioned him about what he would do on a date and he said matter of factly "You go out to eat." I guess I will be happy that he plans on waiting until he is older to take this girl out to eat. Unfortunately things have not continued to go well with this little girl in his class. He was pretty bummed the other day when he came home. I asked him about the playground and he said "K said that she only likes cute boys and that I'm not cute." How do 5 year old girls already know how to be mean to boys? Taylor was oh so helpful and kept saying "All my friends say I'm cute!". I tried to explain to her that we were talking about Ethan's feelings right now and she responded "Well it hurts my feelings when we don't talk about my feelings." I have tried to convince Ethan that he should move on and try to play with some other girls but he is still convinced that K is a very nice girl and he still likes her. That boy is going to have his heart broke a lot if he keeps this up.

The other day you could tell he had something on his mind as we walked into the preschool. I asked him what he was thinking and he said "Boys are very serious..... and its because girls are so difficult. They really distract us." All this wisdom from such a young boy. Then he tells Taylor, "You don't understand big school. When you get to be 4 you are going to hurt boys feelings too." The same day he tells me that although he fell in love with K his love for her is getting smaller every day. Thank goodness. But then she goes and plays with him once and he lights up and says "maybe my love is getting bigger now."

Oh how I love our deep conversations. I'm sure one day they will end and I will no longer get insight into what he thinks about girls around him. So I will just continue to enjoy it for now.

5 comments:

J and C Fish Family said...

Oh, I got a good laugh!! Thank you!
Wow! Ethan is a smart boy. I just hope he figures out that he can wait to fall in love for real when he is a bigger man. At least you know he is playing for the right team. Right??
-Carol

Toni said...

I miss Ethan. He is wise beyond his years. Your conversations are always so cute.

Michelle said...

Oh to be heartbroken and four. It's rather hard. You let him know, though, that he is a cute boy. His Aunt Michelle says so, and his Aunt Michelle knows a cute boy when she sees one!

Becca said...

That's the cutest/saddest thing I've ever heard! That boy is truly wise for his years- I'm sure you are loving those conversations. And I'm sure that he will actually be a real heartbreaker because he's so dang cute!

Leah said...

Oh how I love that boy. I am shocked. Wow.